Batteries do get hot if recharged. But getting too hot to touch seems a bit much. That needn't necessarily be the fault of the electricity supply in your house. Could also mean the charger took a knoeck or the batteries aren't good anymore (could be a possibility since you say electricity in the old house was not good meaning the batteries were never charged 100% and have lost some of their storing capability)..
These are the new batteries, HW. They weren't so hot that I dropped them or anything, but definitely hot. I needed to leave the house and attempted to let them cool a little bit, but finally went ahead & put them in the camera. They worked fine.