My husband and I are homesteading on the weekends on Whidbey Island in Western Washington state. As such we have nothing but wildflowers as we attempt to carve out a little civilisation for ourselves. Here is a little Westcoast flora.
In ascending order of desireability:
St John's Wort, which we just identified this year as a noxious weed and must be pulled by hand. It is spread over two or three acres.
Orange trumpet honeysuckle, way up in the fir trees.
I like any kind of wildflower, with emphasis on the flower -- we all know that some of these plants are 99.9% leaves, thorns and obstacles and only 0.1% flower, in which case I saw get rid of the damned thing!
This flower was a bit bigger and, since the photos weren't very good, I deleted from my iPad after I downloaded. I will check to see if I still have a photo on my camera. Guess it must have been something else.
And I've wickedly misled you – now that I stare at it, that is not a baldhip rose but a Nootka rose, betrayed by the prominent sepals on the hip. The baldhip is the next plant over. Nootkas are bigger, about 2". Duh.
Pretty sure it's not. We'll be on Amelia Island for a wedding of my husband's nephew. Flying trip, don't know anyone there. But I'd probably never get to Florida on my own, so it's all good. I'll wave.
Oh, that's nice! That IS my part of Florida, though still a good couple of hours away. I've wanted to go back to see Ft. Clinch on the north part of Amelia Island. Just to the north of that, across a waterway, is Cumberland Island, Georgia, a paradise of a place where I've spent a lot of time.
bixaorellana, I am a plant i-d fanatic. I ask questions on the UBC Botanical Garden Forum which has a worldwide membership who are extremely helpful in figuring out the strangest visitors to the property.
At a wild guess, I would say that 65 - 70% of what is growing on our land is indigenous, in that they are pre-contact species and not introduced: trees, native berries and shrubs, mosses, ferns and sedges. Another 30% have encroached in the last 400 years: grasses, wildflowers and what one would call noxious weeds. A full two acres was covered by a fairytale-level Himalayan blackberry thicket when we bought, and we will be trying to eradicate it for the next 10 years, I suppose. Then we have a very small percentage of what I like to think of as kismet - garden hybrids or exotic (to me) weeds that drop from the sky as seeds in bird poop; shasta daisies are the latest additions. I save the seeds for when I get to plant a real garden.
I'll include these photos as they are on subject (wildflowers and berries) and because they show the damage that was done by a homesick Brit immigrant who wanted some bramble jelly on his toast a couple of centuries ago. Himalayan blackberry eradication by professionals:
It is most definitely the" year of the elderberry" here!!!! Mon Dieu!! Last years harvest was wiped out by Hurricane Isaac, so, barring no upcoming storms of that nature to disappoint, I am whipping out my recipes to go at it as I have at least 4 major stands of them burgeoning with berries!!!!!